Last night there were several tornados and storms in central Kansas. Cheyenne and I were at my sister's track meet in Ellinwood when we heard that we were in a tornado warning. We got home as soon as possible only to see that a tornado hit Greensburg. The storm was moving northeast towards Macksville and St. John. Then it was in Barton County outside of Great Bend and Ellinwood. "We were just in Ellinwood!" They said it could hit the southwest part of Rice County. I gathered clothes for Scott, Cheyenne and I, pillows and blankets, water and Cheyenne's diaper bag. I cleaned out the things we had stored under the stairs in the basement and put those things under there incase we had to go for cover in a hurry. We also had a twin mattress sitting the the room by the stairs that I was prepared to pull over us. Luckily the storm and bad tornados missed us. Several other towns and areas weren't so lucky. Scott was at work but I kept calling him and my parents to make sure everyone was ok. As the storm continued north Claflin and Holyrood were in it's path. My sister was in Holyrood at a friends house! I kept an eye on channel 3 to see if she was going to be in danger. They ended up going to the basement at her friends but nothing hit there. It did hit Claflin though with 100 mph winds damaging several structures. Claflin is 8 miles from Holyrood. Then they said Ellsworth county was in danger. Scott's mom was working in Ellsworth at the Good Sam. Once it had passed all of this area I decided it was probably ok for me to go to bed, it was 3 am. Everyone is ok today but more storms with tornados are in the forcast for today and tomorrow. I'm leaving our things in the basement.
For those of you who don't know...
Approximately 95% of Greensburg is destroyed. Please keep them in your prayers. We have played basketball and volleyball there and it is devasting to see the damage there.

This is the tornado that hit Greensburg.
1 comment:
It was definitely a looong weekend for storm watchers!!!
Post a Comment