Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Zoo

This past weekend was half price admission and $1 hamburgers at Rolling Hills Wildlife Adventure. The girls and I went to church in Ellsworth with Mom and Staci and then headed to the zoo. We decided to eat before we got too far into the zoo. Cheyenne was ready to just see the animals but we got her to sit long enough to eat a hamburger. They were good hamburgers for $1! We had a lot of fun. My mom's cousin and her daughter work at Rolling Hills and were working that day so we got to spend some time with them as well.




Staci, Cheyenne and Cheryl ready to "roll" through Rolling Hills! Notice the map in Cheyenne's hands, she followed that map the entire time and told us where we needed to go! It was a great way for her to learn to follow a map!





There weren't any animals in this exhibit but the girls liked crawling through the tunnel and poking their heads up into the window.



Sleeping black bears.


Posing for a picture with the deer.


Lemurs (most animals were, in the words of the girls, like on Madagascar!)


They had a giraffe feeding station! It was only open until 2:00 so we hurried to get over there. Cheyenne thought she wanted to feed the giraffes but they when it came down to getting close to them she didn't want to. Cheryl let Staci hold her and feed him and then wanted to do it again! The giraffes stuck out their tongues wanting the branches.

Cheryl wanted Staci to hand it to him!

This may not be appropriate but I HAVE to tell this story! These 2 giraffes were always together. They are all males. They came over to the feeding station but didn't really want to be fed. They were very playful. (I have a video I will post on another post.) Cheyenne was watching them. And all of a sudden says, "Mommy, what's that coming out of his belly?" I looked and guess what I saw?! You can see it in this picture if you look close. "Mommy, what is that?" Yes, I think she said it as loud as she could and kept repeating it! I couldn't help but laugh. My mom said, "I think we better go!" Cheyenne was too intrigued! I explained to her that that was a boy giraffe! We finally got her to move on and she didn't ask anymore, thank goodness!





Next was the Rhinos, 2 of them were inside. Gail and Erin (mom's cousin and her daughter) caught up with us at the Rhino exhibit, which is Gail's favorite. This one was eating but the other one was playing with a smashed trash can. Erin warned us that he likes to "mark his territory". As we were looking at him, he turned and raised his tail! I grabbed the girls, who were right next to the rails, and moved out of the way pretty quickly. Then he kept turning towards us! He never sprayed but we got out of the building completely pretty quickly!


This camel turned and posed for a picture!

This dromedary camel keeps the grass short around the fence!

Robbie the Orangutan.

The tigers! Cheryl liked the white one!

Cheyenne waited all day to see the lion! We passed him the first time in our rush to feed the giraffes. Then she told us where we needed to go according to her map to get back to him.

Cheryl and Gail feeding the goat a carrot in the kids' petting zoo! Cheryl isn't so sure about putting her fingers by the goat's mouth!

Then she figured out it's ok!

We left the zoo about 4:00 and Cheryl was pooped. We were going to go into Salina to do some shopping and Cheryl fell asleep before we were too far on interstate. Chey was cold so she shared her blanket with her sleeping sister!

We all had a good time and the weather was cooler and it even sprinkled a little bit, which made it even better. It was very enjoyable day! Thanks Mom!

No comments: