Monday, July 26, 2010

Breast Feeding

A friend's status on facebook today drew my attention to an article on the Hutchinson News online about a La Leche League . I had to go there and see it myself. After looking at the picture and reading the article I had to comment on my friend's status. There have been many more comments on her status and also on the article online. I nursed both of my girls until they were 1 year old and could drink milk. I think that is a good time to stop. I think nursing was the best thing for my kids and myself. They both did well with it and never had any formula. That saved us a lot of money. Especially when Cheyenne was still in diapers when Cheryl was born. Since I've seen a lot of comments I just thought I'd post it on my blog as well and see if there were any opinions here. I'm all for nursing and nursing in public but there comes a time when a child is too old. Oh, and one comment said the world average age for weaning is 4 years! I can't imagine nursing my 4 year old OR my 2 year old!

(for some reason my link to the article isn't showing up when I post. Click on La Leche League to see the article)

2 comments:

Jinny said...

I breastfed Ayden for 13 months and hope to do about the same with this baby. I am open to supplementing with formula if necessary, due to my work schedule, but for the most part, I would like this baby's diet to be breast milk...especially when considering the cost of formula! But I am with you...I don't think I could nurse much longer than a year...and definitely not longer than 2 years. Ayden will be 4 a week from today...I couldn't imagine breastfeeding him today!

Staci said...

Wow. The kid in the picture looks like she's napping in her mom's lap. When I realize she's BF'ing...well...that kinds freaks me out! Brody was totally weaned at 14 months and Barrett self weaned at 11 months. In NO WAY can I imagine either one of them (Barrett just turned 2 and Brody will turn 4 in a few weeks) still sucking on my boobs! GROSS!!!!