Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Miss You Grandpa

Well, it's been a rough couple weeks. I got a phone call from Mom at work Wednesday morning August 26th that Grandpa wasn't doing well. He had passed out that morning so they ran some more tests and found that he had a bleeding aneurysm in his chest. Because of his age, there was nothing they could do. He had maybe a couple days to live. My brother and sisters came home as quickly as possible. Our cousin Mark, made it here on Friday. Many of Grandpa's friends and family stopped by too. By Wednesday afternoon they had moved him into a Hospice room and started him on Morphine. He was pretty much non responsive after that. We all did get to give him a kiss and tell him we loved him Thursday and he got out a rough "I love you too". My mom wouldn't leave his side. All of us kids, mom and dad stayed the night in the hospital. The Hospice room had a couch that had 2 reclining seats and two other recliners. One of us stayed awake with Grandpa at all times. We reminisced, prayed, read the bible, and tried to keep him comfortable. We wanted to share every last minute we could with him. We wanted him to know that he wasn't alone. On Sunday morning, August 30th, Grandpa left us and went to be in his eternal home. It was so hard to see him go but know that he isn't suffering and we'll see him again in Heaven. He was laid to rest Wednesday, September 2nd. It was a beautiful service.





We're not sure how much Grandma understands. We think she knows that he is gone and isn't coming back. She's cried and made some statements that let us know she knows she is by herself now. She is still at hime and Mom has been staying with her every night. We're not sure what the next step is. It's just one day at a time.





We had so many family and friends that were willing to stay with Grandma so that we could stay with Grandpa. I know it wasn't easy for them since they aren't around her that much. They all did a wonderful job with her! We appreciated it so much. Mom never had to worry about what to do. There was always someone to step up and say they would stay from this time to this time and then someone else would fill in as long as they could. What a blessing we have in all of them! We thank you all for your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.





We thank God for the 91 years that he gave Grandpa to all of us. It was nice to see so many family and friends that cared so greatly about him. He was a wonderful man! We've realized that even more since his passing. He touched the lives of so many people! We miss you Grandpa!



(Our cousin Mark created this awesome cover for the funeral service! It is definitely Grandpa! )

1 comment:

Staci said...

RaeAnn, I am so sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I know that he lived a long life...but that doesn't make you miss him any less! I'm glad that you have so many good memories of you times together. What a blessing it has been for your girls to get to know him too! Wish I was there to give you a hug. Know that I'm praying for you. I love you!